Faculty and Staff Snapshot
|Full-time tenured faculty||50|
|Full-time tenure-track faculty||9|
|Full-time non-tenured faculty||27|
|Total full-time faculty||86|
|Faculty with research doctoral degree||76|
|Part-time faculty FTE (not including graduate teaching assistants)||3.4|
|Full-time staff and administrators||74|
|Part-time staff FTE||0.5|
|FTE of faculty with administrative responsibilities||7|
Annette L. Ranft transitioned out of the dean’s office July 31, 2018 to take on the position of dean at the Raymond J. Harbert College of Business at Auburn University. Provost Arden named Frank Buckless, associate dean of faculty and academic affairs, as interim dean, effective August 1.
We added the following new full-time faculty in FY18:
- Ravi Rakesh, research assistant professor, CIMS
- Ilze Kalnina, assistant professor, economics
- William Phan, research assistant professor, economics
- Tim Michaelis, research assistant professor, MIE
- Robert Whited, assistant professor, accounting
The following faculty retiremented in FY18:
- Stephen Margolis, professor of economics: 36 years of service, 12/31/2017
- Deborah Brown, lecturer: 18 years of service, 6/38/2018
On May 24, 2018, Poole College lost of a beloved faculty member and friend, Dr. Cecil Bozarth, professor of operations and supply chain management. Cecil dedicated his professional life to Poole College since joining us in 1992. As a professor of operations and supply chain management, Cecil was an extraordinary teacher and scholar –– the recipient of numerous teaching awards and widely published in peer-reviewed journals. He spearheaded many industry engagements for Poole College, including serving as faculty advisor for student practicum and project teams interfacing with Biogen, Duke Energy, Lenovo and more. Cecil also served as our founding faculty director of the Jenkins Professional Online MBA, laying the foundation for what is now a nationally ranked program. He was truly an extraordinary member of our community whose impact on this college will be felt for a long time to come.
Selected Research Highlights
Diversity is Good Business
A study by Professors Roger Mayer and Richard Warr finds a causative link between diversity and workforce innovation.
The Best Mousetrap Doesn't Always Win
Professor Stacy Wood doesn’t have a crystal ball, but her research on the psychology of innovation and related trends helps companies around the world understand human behavior.
Defining the Keys to Success
Professors Jeffrey Pollack and Bradley Kirkman research factors contributing to organizational innovation and success.
Leveling the Playing Field
The research that Professors Bob Hammond, Thayer Morrill and Umut Dur conducted provided to North Carolina's largest public school system new algorithms to help alleviate the ability to manipulate the school assignment process.
Tax Havens: Good Business?
Professor Christina Lewellen examines firms incorporating in tax-haven countries while operating elsewhere.
The Power of Collaboration
Professor Rob Handfield mobilizes his teaching expertise and academic research to address real-world business problems and bring together teams to build a better supply chain.
Awards and Honors
NC State University Awards
Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal for Excellence
- Barry Goodwin, William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor and Graduate Alumni Distinguished Professor in the Departments of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Economics
Outstanding Teacher Award
- Bonnie Hancock, executive director, Enterprise Risk Management Initiative and professor of practice, Department of Accounting
- Jeffrey Pollack, associate professor, Department of Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Teaching Award
- College Nominee: Mark Beasley, Deloitte Professor of Enterprise Risk Management and Professor of Accounting, Department of Accounting
Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor
- Scott Showalter, director, Jenkins Master of Accounting Program and professor of practice, Department of Accounting
University Faculty Scholar
- Jeff Pollack, associate professor, Department of Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Outstanding Extension Service Award
- Bonnie Hancock,executive director, Enterprise Risk Management Initiative and professor of practice, Department of Accounting
- Michelle Grainger, managing director, Center for Innovation Management Studies and managing director, Executive Farm Management Program
Barbara Soloman Advising Award
- Julie Lawson, Academic Advisor, Undergraduate Programs
Poole College Awards
A full list of nominees is below. Award recipients are noted by an asterisk (*).
Teaching Excellence Award
- Andrew Schmidt, associate professor, Department of Accounting
- Patrice Nealon, senior lecturer, Department of Business Management*
- Andy Nowel, director of Undergraduate Program in Economics and lecturer, Department of Economics
- Beth Ritter, associate professor of practice, Department of Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Research Leadership Award
- Christina Lewellen, assistant professor, Department of Accounting
- Rob Handfield, Bank of America University Distinguished Professor of Supply Chain Management and director of the Supply Chain Resource Cooperative, Department of Business Management*
- Giuseppe Fiori, professor, Department of Economics
- Jon Carr, Jenkins Distinguished Professor of Entrepreneurship, Department of Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Research Growth and Innovation Award
- Marianne Bradford, professor, Department of Accounting
- Mike Stanko, associate professor, Department of Business Management*
- Melinda Morrill, associate professor, Department of Economics
- Beverly Tyler, professor, Department of Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Staff Excellence Awards
- Stephanie Jares, Undergraduate Programs*
- E.C. Mabe, Computing Services
- Tina Riley, Dean’s Office
- Ellen Frost, Undergraduate Programs
- Jennifer McLamb, Undergraduate Programs
- Troy Pinkins, Business Management, Supply Chain Resource Cooperative*
Summer Research Awards
Seven Poole College faculty members were recognized for outstanding research productivity of tenured and tenure-track faculty in top tier journals. The seven scholars selected will receive a monetary award and carry the honorary title of Poole Advisory Board Scholar for the 2018-19 academic year.
Faculty were recommended for the award through an evaluation process by members of the college’s Endowed Chairs Committee, assisted by Brian Thomas, director of research development and administration at Poole College.
- Umut Dur, assistant professor of economics, Department of Economics
- Jesse Ellis, associate professor of finance, Department of Business Management
- Jeff Pollack, associate professor of entrepreneurship, Department of Management,
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Bill Rand, assistant professor of marketing, Department of Business Management
- Mike Stanko, associate professor of marketing, Department of Business Management
- Eileen Taylor, associate professor of accounting, Department of Accounting
- Eda Kemahlioglu-Ziya, associate professor of operations and supply chain management, Department of Business Management
Selected External Honors
Joseph Brazel, Jenkins Distinguished Professor of Accounting and University Faculty Scholar
- American Accounting Association (AAA) | 2018 Notable Contribution to the Auditing Literature Award (see details)
Christina Lewellen, assistant professor of accounting
- American Accounting Association (AAA) | 2017 American Taxation Association/PricewaterhouseCoopers (ATA/PwC) Outstanding Dissertation Award
- American Accounting Association (AAA) | 2017 Outstanding International Accounting Dissertation Award
Fay Payton, professor of information systems and technology
- Inducted into Ph.D. Project Hall of Fame (see details)
Scott Showalter, professor of practice, accounting
- Association of Government Accountants (AGA) | 2018 International Achievement Award
Eileen Z. Taylor, associate professor of accounting and Paul F. Williams, professor of accounting
- Best Theoretical Research Award, 22nd Annual Ethics Research
Symposium, August 6, 2017, San Diego, CA
Financial Times Top-50 Journals Submissions
During the January 2015-April 2018 time period, Poole College faculty have published 40 articles in journals listed among the Financial Times "Top 50." Of those 34 articles, 12 were published (or at press) in FY18.
New sponsored research awards grew in FY18.
- FY18 new award totals through April 12, 2018 is $1,282,962, compared to $1,241,155 for the full FY17. The full sponsored research report of new award totals for FY17 is here. The full sponsored research report of new award totals for FY18, through April 12, 2018, is here.
- Center for Innovation Management Studies (CIMS) memberships are included in these reports. When those memberships are removed, FY18 new award totals through April 12, 2018 is $1,132,962, compared to $840,321 in FY17.