Poole College to offer free Volunteer Income Tax Return assistance to qualifying students, staff

Submitted by Anna Rzewnicki on Tuesday Feb 02, 2016.

Accounting students in the NC State Poole College of Management are holding a series of Saturday help sessions for students and employees with low-to-moderate household income ($62,000 or less) who are filing their tax returns online.

The free Facilitated Self-Assistance tax preparation events are being offering under the IRS Certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. The Poole College VITA site will not be able to assist non-resident aliens.

A team of 15 accounting students completed the Internal Revenue Service’s VITA training on January 30 and have been certified to guide NC State students and staff as they use the IRS online tax return tools to prepare and e-file their Federal and State income tax returns.

The VITA help sessions will be held in Nelson Hall room B400 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon on the following Saturdays:

  • February 6
  • February 20
  • March 19
  • April 9

Participants should enter Nelson B400 from the campus side of Nelson Hall (southwest corner). Look for a lawn sign marking the entrance. No appointments are required or allowed as service is provided on a first-come, first-served basis. People will be asked to check in when they arrive.

Note that the service ends promptly at 12:00 p.m. on each of the scheduled days. Tax returns in process at that time will be completed at the next scheduled session.

What to bring

Following are documents that participants must bring with them when coming to the tax return help session:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents 
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an  Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Birth dates  for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
  • Form 1098-T for scholarship and education tax benefits
  • University statements including tuition paid for the year, scholarships received and receipts for books and other required educational expenses.
  • Click here to read the required documents list in Spanish or sev 

Click here to read the required documents list in Spanish or several other languages:

Upcoming Events

View Grad ECON Events

Learn More »


Read the latest EcoNews

Learn More »