- This event has passed.
Poole Pack Development Series: Unconscious Bias – Transform your culture through how you think, speak and relate
September 18 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Unconscious bias. Most of us have heard this term to describe assumptions that are automatic, unintended, deeply ingrained, and able to influence behavior. We all have them.
Do you ever feel yourself sorting people into ‘us versus them’ groupings? Do you ever have a first impression of someone without any context about who they are?
This next installment of the Poole Pack Development series will be led by Jackie Ferguson, director of multicultural programming for Walk West. In a world where connecting is more important than ever, this interactive training helps participants learn techniques to manage the shortcuts our brain takes that lead to judgements about people and identity groups. We also review the benefits of inclusive language and how understanding how to name, respect and honor individual identities creates cultures of increased innovation, productivity, and creativity.
In this training, you will:
- Understand how and why unconscious bias develops
- Identify types of unconscious bias
- Explore your own unconscious bias
- Develop ways to manage unconscious bias
- Learn the six rules of inclusive language
- Explore common terms that are exclusive or offensive and what to say instead
- Understand the broader concept of privilege and connect with participants’ experiences
About the Poole Pack Development Series
The Poole Pack Development Series is a professional development program designed for Poole faculty and staff. These quarterly training sessions will be led by Poole faculty, staff, and alumni and cover a variety of emerging workplace and industry topics.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.