As a Cardholder, be mindful of the following fundamental agreements regarding a PCard:
- Used for small purchases of goods and services, under $5K, external to the university*
- Do not have items shipped to a home address
- Do not allow others to use your PCard as the Cardholder is responsible for all purchases
- Always identify as a state employee and request sales tax exemption. The NC State sales tax exemption number (400021) is located on the PCard. It is recommended to present the NC State Certificate of Exemption (Form E595E) at the time of purchase
- Make sure to familiarize yourself with the list of allowable and unallowable PCard purchases
- Purchases are subject to university Spending Guidelines
- No purchases are allowed from Debarred Vendors
*Splitting payments to make a purchase appear to be for less is a violation of purchasing policy
Apply for a PCard
An employee can apply, with prior approval from their supervisor, for a PCard via MyPack Portal – Employee Self Service.
Please reference the PCard Program SOP for detailed instruction on how to apply.
Important PCard Deadlines
There are two very important deadlines related to the use of the PCard that must be adhered to each month:
- Final Statement Approval Internal Deadline: PCard Statements must be approved, at all levels, by the 15th of each month.
- Final Date for PCard Transaction Reconciliation: All PCard transactions (detailed/itemized receipts and supporting documentation REQUIRED at this time) in the current billing cycle must be reconciled* on the 22nd of each month, by 5 p.m. unless the 22nd falls on a weekend – see PCard Billing Cycle Calendar.
*Reconciler must view each transaction to be certain the expense is being charged to the correct Project ID and Account Code so that financial reporting is accurate.
Helpful Links for Reconciliation
A Reconciler may find the links below helpful in determining the correct account code to charge an expense. A Reconciler must review each transaction receipt to be certain there is sufficient documentation to answer the 5W’s.
One-time Transaction Limit Increase
A Cardholder is able to request a temporary increase to PCard transaction limit in order to make a one-time payment. Please allow 3-4 business days for processing.
Advance approval is required and obtained by following BOTH steps below.
- Complete the Increase Request Form in its entirety and email to the PCard Administrator, as instructed on the form.
- Complete Step 6 as outlined on the form: Enter an increase request through the NCSU Card Center (MyPack Portal) for College level approval. Choose “Administrator Defined Limits” and note in the comments box that this is a “one-time payment.”
A one-time payment is generally allowed for:
- Travel related purchases
- Approved contracts (with an authorized signature)
Receipts and Supporting Documentation
It is the Cardholder’s responsibility to upload detailed/itemized receipts and supporting documentation (as needed) in a timely manner (ideally within 2 days of purchase) in order to allow time for reconciliation by the university deadline – see PCard Billing Cycle Calendar.
The Cardholder must:
- Provide detailed/itemized receipt for all transactions, including any credits.
- Ensure receipts and required documentation are uploaded to each transaction as soon as purchases are made or at least allowing enough time for the Reconciler to review in order to meet the transaction deadline – see PCard Billing Cycle Calendar.
- Reference the Travel Authorization (TA)# on travel related purchases
- Use the Comment Section/Speech Bubble in the PCard Center to provide instruction/details (Project ID) to the Reconciler
In general, a receipt should always answer the Five W’s:
- Who? Include attendee or recipient list (if applicable)
- What? Receipt must be legible and include detailed/itemized description of purchase
- When? Transaction date must be present on receipt
- Where? Business name and address must be present on receipt
- Why? Provide brief business purpose or reason for purchase (include event date if applicable)
|Disputed or Fraudulent Transaction||An unauthorized transaction must be addressed immediately with the vendor and the PCard Administrator. For detailed instruction, see Disputed or Fraudulent Transactions.|
|International Transaction Fee||This is a bank fee (usually 1% of purchase amount) for overseas currency conversion and a receipt is required. Simply match or upload the same receipt used for the original purchase.|
|Missing Receipt||The Cardholder should make a reasonable effort to get a duplicate receipt from the vendor but if that is not possible, a Missing Receipt Form must be completed and signed by the Cardholder and their Supervisor.
Note: Use of this form is an exception, not the norm.
|Refund/Credit||If a refund or credit is issued, documentation is required and should include the original charge transaction number and the original documentation, in addition to the credit documentation.|
Please reach out to the PCOM Business Office if you have questions.
Restaurant (Dine In or Carry Out)/Non-Travel Meals
All of the items below must be uploaded/attached to the transaction in the PCard Center:
- Include both the itemized receipt (includes food selection and beverages) and the captured transaction receipt (includes total, tip and signature)
- Business purpose must be clearly stated on the receipt or supporting documentation*
- Attendee list (First and Last Name)*
- Signature required on the receipt – Supervisor for meals and Department Head for catering
- If purchase involves alcohol, Dean’s signature is also required
*not via the PCard center Comment Section/Speech Bubble