Ellen Frost, assistant director for global programs in the Office of Undergraduate Programs in the NC State Poole College of Management, and Sherley Teel, executive assistant in the college’s Department of Economics, were selected as the Poole College of Management’s 2019 Awards for Excellence recipients, both in the category of customer service.
They were selected from among 19 Poole College staff members who were nominated for the 2019 awards by their colleagues in the college. All Poole College nominees were honored at a luncheon on April 30. Frank Buckless, interim dean of the college, read excerpts from the nomination documents for all the candidates, commenting that each represented the quality and commitment of the college staff.
Frost and Teel are now in consideration for the NC State University Awards for Excellence. Staff are nominated annual university awards by their colleges. All nominees are recognized at the college level, and the two college award recipients advance to the university award program. The campus-wide recipients will be announced at a ceremony in June.
Following are this year’s Poole College nominees.
- Ashley Black, NC State Executive Education: program manager
- Kathleen Black, Global Luxury and Management: assistant director
- Tayah Butler, Undergraduate Programs: director of diversity and inclusion
- Alex Byrd, Development and External Relations: assistant director, development and donor relations
- Charles Canteen, Marketing and Media: director, online marketing and web systems
- Sarah Danaher, Jenkins MBA: admissions assistant
- Alissa Dodds, Undergraduate Programs: academic advisor
- Susan Ebbs, Jenkins MBA: CRM program manager
- Franklin Finch, Computing Services: director, information technology
- Christine Ferrell, Marketing and Media Relations: director
- Kathy Ford, Accounting Department: executive assistant
- Ellen Frost, Undergraduate Programs: assistant director, global programs
- Dena Haugley, NC State Executive Education: financial manager
- Brian Newton, Undergraduate Programs: director, career center, undergraduate programs
- Thuy Nguyen, Accounting: ERM coordinator
- Maria Potepalova, Marketing and Media: assistant director, internal communications
- Carlos Sanford, Computing Services: manager, software applications
- Beth Shepherd, Jenkins MBA: online program manager
- Sherley Teel, Economics Department: executive assistant
Excerpts from the Nominations of Poole College’s 2019 Award for Excellence Recipients
A significant portion of Ellen’s position is to meet with students who seek to study abroad for a semester or academic year. In doing this she aids students in identifying programs that fit their personal and academic needs. After committing to an exchange program, students meet again with her to finalize courses and obtain advice on travel, housing and visa requirements. Last year, the Poole College of Management sent 87 undergraduate students abroad for a semester or academic year. This is the largest number we have ever sent and is in large part due to Ellen’s efforts. Ellen’s commitment also led to Poole Global achieving a 120% increase in the number of students studying abroad for a semester since she joined the team.
Sherley took over as executive assistant when Carolyn Smith retired two years ago. Carolyn was outstanding…and Sherley has met the very high standard established by Carolyn. I see how well she manages the flow of work through the department. Sheley manages the department’s finances; she serves as the department’s liaison with Poole College human resources and the university’s International Office; and she deals with any number of other issues, which I will put in the ‘all-else’ category. It is a privilege to work with Sherley and to be able to recommend her for this award.