Professor, Department of Management, Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Poole College Board of Advisors Faculty Scholar
Senior Visiting Fellow Judge Business School, Cambridge University
HPC Visiting Professor, HPC Supply Chain Innovation Lab, University of Bath School of Management
Nelson Hall 1322
Texas A&M University,
Department and Affiliations
Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Area(s) of Expertise
Top executive information processing, organizational decision making, organizational and inter-organizational cooperation, and multi-sector interdisciplinary collaborative innovation.
Beverly B. Tyler, professor in the Department of Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship at NC State Poole College, received her Ph.D. from Texas A&M University (chair, Dr. Jay Barney) in 1992 where her research focused on top executive information processing and organizational decision making. During her early career she extended her research to include organizational and inter-organizational cooperation and relationship management. More recently she has applied cognitive, organizational, and relational lenses to the domains of new product development, supplier relationship management, international investment decisions, performance feedback, and university-industry-government research relationships. Although she is primarily a behavioral theorist, Dr. Tyler values and often seeks to integrate multiple theoretical perspectives in her publications.
Currently, Dr. Tyler is pursuing several projects that consider multi-sector, multilevel, interdisciplinary collaboration focused on developing innovative technology. She is also extending her research on how job roles influence contract evolution to the context of new product development in video games. She continues to use a multi-method approach in her research: policy capturing experimental designs, data analysis of large sample databases, analysis of documents and interviews, mail surveys, and cognitive mapping methods. Dr. Tyler’s research has appeared in Organizational Science, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management Studies, Journal of Operations Management, Journal of Supply Chain Management, Journal of Product Innovation Management, and Journal of Engineering and Technology Management.
- Tyler, B.B., Lahneman, B., Beukel, K., Cerrato, D., Minciullo, M., Spielmann, N., & Discua Cruz, A. (2018). “SME Managers’ Perceptions of Competitive Pressure and the Adoption of Environmental Practices in Fragmented Industries: A Multi-Country Study in the Wine Industry.” Organization & Environment. https://doi.org/10.1177/
- Vogel, K. M., Jameson, J. K., Tyler, B. B., Joines, S., Evans, B., & Rendon, H. (2017). “The Importance of Organizational Innovation and Adaptation in Building Academic-Industry-Intelligence Collaboration: Observations from the Laboratory for Analytic Sciences.” The International Journal of Intelligence, Security, and Public Affairs, 19(3): 171-196.
- Tyler, B, and Caner, T. (2016). “The Relationship between New Product Introductions below Aspiration Levels, R&D Alliances, and Slack in U.S. Biopharmaceutical Firms: A Behavioral Theory Perspective; Strategic Management Journal [Accepted January 12, 2015].
- Lawson, B., Tyler, B.B., and Potter, A. (2015). “Strategic Suppliers Technical Contributions to New Product Advantage: Substitution and Configuration Options; Journal of Product Innovation Management [Accepted Feb. 18, 2014].
- Caner, T., and Tyler, B. (2015). “The Effects of Knowledge Depth and Scope on the Relationship between R&D Alliances and New Product Development; Journal of Product Innovation Management [Accepted Feb. 16, 2014].
- Tong, T., Reuer, J., Tyler, B.B., and Zhang, S. (2015). “Host Country Executives; Assessments of International Joint Ventures and Divestitures: An Experimental Approach; Strategic Management Journal, 36(2): 254-275.
- Bercovitz, J, and Tyler, B.B. (2014). “Who I Am and How I Contract: The Effect of Contractors; Roles on the Evolution of Contract Structure in University-Industry Research Agreements; Organization Science, 25(6): 1840-1959.
- Reuer, J. , Tong, T., Tyler, B.B., and Arino, A. (2013).“Executives Preferences for Governance Modes and Exchange Partners: An Information Economics Perspective; Strategic Management Journal, 34: 1104;1122 (2013)
- Caner, Turanay; Tyler, Beverly (2013). “Alliance Portfolio R&D Intensity and New Product Introduction; American Journal of Business. 28(1):38-63.
- Reuer, J. J., Tyler, B. B., Tong, T. W., & Wu, C. W. (2012). “Executives; Assessments of International Joint Ventures in China: A Multi-theoretical Investigation. Management and Organization Review; Management and Organization Review. 8(2), 311-340.
- Tyler, B.B. and Gnyawali, D.R. (2009). “Managerial Collective Cognitions: An Examination of Similarities and Differences of Cultural Orientations; Journal of Management Studies.
- Terpend, R., Tyler, B.B., Handfield, R.B. and Krause, D.R. (2008). “Buyer-Supplier Relationships: Value Extraction Over Two Decades; Journal of Supply Chain Management. 44(2):28-55
- Lawson, B., Tyler, B.B., and Cousins, P.D. (2008). “Antecedents and Consequences of Social Capital on Buyer Performance Improvement; Journal of Operations Management.
- Krause, D., Handfield, R. B., Tyler, B. B. (2007). “The Relationship Between Supplier Development, Commitment, Social Capital Accumulation and Performance Improvement. Journal of Operations Management, 25(2), 528-545.
- Gnyawali, D.R. and Tyler, B.B. (2005). Cognitive Mapping in Strategic Management: Processes, Issues and Observations, in D.J. Ketchen, Jr., and D.D. Bergh (eds.), Research Methodology in Strategic Management, Vol. 2, Elsevier/JAI Press.
- Tyler, B. B. & Gnyawali, D.R. (2002). Mapping Managers Market Orientations Regarding New Product Success. The Journal of Product Innovation Management, 19:1-18.
- Tyler, B. B. (2001). The Complementarity of Cooperative and Technological Competencies: A Resource-Based Perspective. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 18: 1-27.
- Tyler, B.B. & Steensma, H.K. (1998). “The Effects of Executive Experiences and Perceptions on their Assessment of Potential Technological Alliances; Strategic Management Journal. 19(10): 939-965.
- Hitt, M.A., T. Dacin, Tyler, B.B., & Park D. (1997). “A Transnational Examination of Strategic Management; Strategic Management Journal, 18 (2): 159-167.
- Tyler, B.B., & Steensma, H.K. (1995). “Evaluating Technological Collaborative Opportunities: A Cognitive Modeling Perspective; Strategic Management Journal, Summer Special Issue, 16: 43-70.
- Hitt, M.A., Tyler, B.B., Hardee, C., and Park, D. (1995). “Understanding Strategic Intent in the Global Marketplace; Academy of Management Executive, 9: 12-19.
- Daft, R.L., Bettenhausen, K.L., and Tyler, B.B. (1993);Top Managers Communication Choices for Strategic Decision Making: Organization Design Implications; In G.P. Huber and W.H. Glick (eds.) Organizational Change, Redesign, and Effectiveness, 112-146. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Barney, J.B. and Tyler, B.B. (1992). “Top Management Team Attributes and Sustained Competitive Advantage; In L.R. Gomez-Mejia & M.W. Lawless (eds) High Technology Management Research Series, Vol. 1: 33-47. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, Inc.
- Hitt, M.A. and Tyler, B.B. (1991). “Strategic Decision Models: Integrating Different Perspectives; Strategic Management Journal, 12 (5): 327-351.
- Hoskisson, R.E., M.A. Hitt, Turk, T.A. and Tyler, B.B. (1989). “Balancing Corporate Strategy and Executive Compensation: Agency Theory and Corporate Governance; In G.R. Ferris and K.M. Rowland (eds.) Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, Vol. 7. 25-57, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.