Department and Affiliations
Department of Economics
Area(s) of Expertise
Public Finance, Economics Education
Awards & Honors
- NCSU College of Management Board of Governors Award for Teaching Excellence, 2010 and 2012
- NCSU College of Management Teaching Excellence Award, 2006
- Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor, North Carolina State University (Recognition for Teaching Excellence)
- Member of the Academy of Outstanding Teachers, North Carolina State University
- Professor of Economics and Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor, North Carolina State University (Current Position)
- Visiting Professor, Istituto di Economia e Finanza, Universita` degli Studi di Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy, Fall 1997
- Senior Staff Economist, Council of Economic Advisers, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C., 1989
- Consultant, Council of Economic Advisers, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C., 1988
- Guest Scholar, The Brookings Institution, Fall 1988
- Fulbright Senior Research Scholar, Summer, 1980, Istituto di Ricerca Economica e Sociale and University of Turin, Italy
- Visiting Research Professor, Laboratorio di Economia Politica, Universitá di Torino, Turin, Italy, 1976-1977 and Summer 1980
- The Economics of Governmental Activity, New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1973
- Modern Microeconomics: Analysis and Applications, Homewood, Ill: Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 3rd. Edition, 1993
- Public Finance: A Contemporary Application of Theory to U.S. and China Practice, (coauthor with Jinchang Zhang), Beijing: Peking University Press, 2011.
- Economics, Anderson, SC: Tavenner Publishing, 7th Edition, 2012
- Public Finance: A Contemporary Application of Theory to Policy, Mason, Ohio: Cengage Learning, 11th Edition, 2014.
- “Real Property Taxes, Local Public Services and Residential Property Values,” Southern Economic Journal, 39(4), April 1973 (Co-author with E. C. Pasour, Jr.).
- “Property Tax Differentials and Residential Rents in North Carolina,” National Tax Journal, June 1973 (Co-author with E. C. Pasour, Jr.).
- “Forced Busing and the Demand for Private Schooling,” Journal of Legal Studies, June 1977, (Co-author with Claude Farrell and Loren Ihnen).
- “The Influence of City Size on Labor Incomes,” The Quarterly Review of Economics and Business, 18(1), Spring 1978 (Co-author with Robert M. Fearn).
- “Revenue Sharing and Local Public Spending—The Italian Experience,” Public Choice, 35(1), 1980 (Co-author with G. Brosio and W. Santagata).
- “Using Marginal Benefit Curves to Illustrate Income and Substitution Effects,” Journal of Economic Education, Fall 1990.