Skip to main content

Accounting Students Offering Free Income Tax Return Prep Service

Approximately 25 of the college’s accounting students have completed training and are certified by the Internal Revenue Service to participate in this annual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

Assistance will be available from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. on February 19 and 26, March 19, and April 16 in the college’s computing lab, 411 Nelson Hall. Entrance is at the lower level doors on the southwest corner (campus side) of Nelson Hall.

The VITA students are certified to prepare federal and North Carolina state income tax returns and can help participants determine if they are qualified for Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC). “They will be working with the 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ forms,” said Ernest Carraway, accounting lecturer and faculty coordinator for this service project.

The students can only help North Carolina citizens; they will not be working with tax return forms for those with non-resident status.

In order to determine their eligibility for EITC and to prepare their returns efficiently, taxpayers wanting to use this service must bring with them the following items:

  • Photo identification
  • Valid Social Security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents
  • Individuals can also complete their tax returns at this” website”:
  • Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return
  • Current year’s tax package, if received
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
  • Total paid for day care
  • Day care provider’s tax identification number- either the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number.
  • Other relevant information about income and expenses

Students will not be able to help those who do not have a valid social security number or card. Those who have lost or misplaced their social security card may request a transcript from a local Social Security Office. Check for a Social Security Office in your area.

  • Individuals can also complete their tax returns at this website.