How to Apply
1. Complete a Study Abroad 101 session
Students must complete a Study Abroad 101 session at least one week before the deadline.
Study Abroad 101 sessions are currently offered virtually and are available as a self-paced video series. The videos will help students set goals for study abroad, describe the types of programs offered, and explain the financial resources available for funding study abroad. After completing the videos, an Advising Application will be created in PackAbroad. You can view the videos for Study Abroad 101 at go.ncsu.edu/studyabroad101.
- Note: This step is required for students who are applying for a semester exchange/direct-enroll program, and recommended for any student who would like to learn more about all of our options. Students are advised to begin the application process no later than one month before the deadline. The last Study Abroad 101 will be given one week prior to the deadline to ensure students have time to complete an application.
2. Explore Study Abroad Programs
First, explore featured programs at our partner universities across the globe on Poole Global’s “Semester and Year-Long Programs” page. This page highlights some of the most popular universities that Poole students have attended. The universities listed are not the only options; more can be found on the Study Abroad Office’s website.
Utilize the “Program Search” page on the Study Abroad Office’s website to find out specific information about study abroad options at different schools and in different countries. Consider your top 4-5 priorities for studying abroad and develop a system that helps you compare them at different institutions. Spend time researching the city, county, and culture of each potential study abroad location.
- Items to consider when deciding your priorities:
- What do you want to learn abroad?
- Where do you want to explore?
- What type of classes do you want to take?
- What skills would you like to develop?
- Factors to consider when researching specific locations:
- Where do you want to live?
- How much does it cost?
- What are local transportation options?
- What season will it be when you are studying abroad?
3. Apply to a specific study abroad program
Click the “Apply Now” button on the program page in PackAbroad to start an application. After you’ve started your semester program-specific application, you will complete Study Abroad 101 (Step 1) if you haven’t already, and complete your advising application (Step 2).
Then you will be able to schedule an individual advising appointment (Step 3). At the appointment, the advisor will discuss the overall application process, review program-specific information, point out scholarship opportunities and answer any personal concerns.
The program specific application includes essays, recommendations, transcripts, etc. All of these materials will be submitted through the PackAbroad application.
- Tip: One recommendation is needed to apply to study abroad and it must be a faculty member you have had in a class at NC State. The recommendation is not a letter; instead, the individual completing the recommendation will receive an email from the Study Abroad Office with a survey to complete about the student.
4. Research courses to take abroad
As part of the meeting with the Poole Global Programs Office (next step), you will discuss the courses you plan to take while abroad. To assist in this conversation, it is helpful for you be familiar with your degree audit as well as the classes offered at the host institution. Please consult the “Academic Course Planning” page to view how courses have transferred back and information specific to each major.
As part of the application, you will work with the Poole Global Programs Office to complete the Course Approval Form. This form outlines potential classes to take at your host university and their transfer equivalents at NC State. For more information on completing the course approval form, visit the Course Approval Form page.
5. Meet with the Poole Global Programs Office
Once you have chosen a specific program and begun the application, there will be a link in your PackAbroad application to schedule a meeting with the Global Programs Office. Take this opportunity to discuss housing options, location, culture, etc. as well as what courses to take while abroad.
You can also visit our Contact Us page to make an appointment.