Dr. Danielsen teaches graduate and undergraduate corporate finance, investments and real estate courses, and he is a coauthor of the internationally best-selling textbook, Foundations of Financial Management, now in its 17th edition.
Dr. Danielsen’s current research focuses on how charter schools, voucher programs and education savings accounts (ESAs) impact property values and family residential choice. His research appears in the Real Estate Economics, the Journal of Housing Research, the Journal of Real Estate Research, the Review of Financial Studies, the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and numerous other high-quality academic finance and real estate journals.
Dr. Danielsen is the originator of the economic development program commonly known as “Economic Development Zone ESAs.” These ESAs are designed to increase cultural and economic diversity in high-poverty neighborhoods while bringing better job options to the residents of those neighborhoods.
Dr. Danielsen is the founder and President of Environmentalists for Effective Education, a public charity devoted to promoting research and awareness of the importance of educational choices in revitalizing blighted urban areas, reducing urban sprawl, and creating sustainable cities.
Ph.D., Financial Economics, University of Florida (1999)
- “A New Local Economic Development Strategy for Texas” (with John Merrifield). Forthcoming.
- “Tennessee Economic Development Zone ESAs: Implementation Considerations and Methods” (with John Merrifield). February 2019.
- “CPR Scholarships: Using Private-School Choice to Attack Concentrated Poverty, Crime, and Unemployment”. American Enterprise Institute, March 2017.
- “Renewing Our Cities: A Case Study on School Choice’s Role in Urban Renewal” (with David M. Harrison and Jing Zhao). Ed Choice, 2017.
- “School Vouchers and Home Prices: Premiums in School Districts Lacking Public Schools” (with Susanne Cannon and David Harrison). Journal of Housing Research: 2015, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 1-20.
- “It Makes a Village: Residential Relocation after Charter School Admission” (with David Harrison and Jing Zhao). Real Estate Economics, 42(4), 1008-1041.
- “Liquidity, Accounting Transparency, and the Cost of Capital: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts” (with David Harrison, Robert Van Ness and Richard S. Warr). Journal of Real Estate Research, 36(2),221-251.
- “School Choice Programs: The Impacts on Housing Values.” (with Joshua C. Fairbanks and Jing Zhao). Journal of Real Estate Literature: 2015, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 207-232.
- “Single Stock Futures as a Substitute for Short Sales: Evidence from Microstructure Data” (with Robert Van Ness, and Richard Warr). Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 2009, 36(9-10), 1273-1293. “
- “REIT Auditor Fees and Financial Market Transparency” (with David M. Harrison, Robert Van Ness, and Richard Warr). Real Estate Economics, 2009, 37(3), 515-557.
- “Idiosyncratic Risk and Dispersion of Beliefs: Merton (1987) Meets Miller (1977)” (with Rodney Boehme, Praveen Kumar and Sorin Sorescu). Journal of Financial Markets, 2009, 12(3), 438-468.
- “Estimation Risk, Information, and the Conditional CAPM: Theory and Evidence with Praveen Kumar, Sorin M. Sorescu and Rodney D. Boehme. Review of Financial Studies, 2008 21: 1037-1075.
- “Reassessing the Impact of Option Introductions on Market Quality: A Less Restrictive Test for Event-Date Effects” with Bonnie Van Ness and Richard S. Warr. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 2007, 42(4), 1041-1062.
- “The Impact of Property Type Diversification on REIT Liquidity” (with David M. Harrison). Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, 2007, 13(4), 329-344.
- “Stock Split Post-Announcement Returns: Underreaction or Market Friction?” (with Rodney D. Boehme ). Financial Review; 2007, 42, 458-506.
- “Auditor Fees, Market Microstructure, and Informational Transparency” (with Robert Van Ness and Richard S. Warr ). Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 2007, 34(1/2), 202-221.
- “Short Sale Constraints, Differences of Opinion and Overvaluation” (with Rodney D. Boehme and Sorin M. Sorescu). Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 2006, 41 (2), 455-487. Finance and Accounting, 34, 202-221.