Ph.D., Business Administration, UNC-Chapel Hill (2000)
Department and Affiliations
Department of Business Management
Area(s) of Expertise
Supply chain modeling, production and inventory management
Donald Warsing is an Associate Professor of Operations and Supply Chain
Management at the Poole College of Management at North Carolina State University.
Prior to joining the faculty at NC State, Dr. Warsing served on the faculty of the Smeal
College of Business at Pennsylvania State University and also worked for several years
at IBM Corporation in roles spanning from industrial engineering to manufacturing
management. He received a Ph.D. in Operations Management from the Kenan-Flagler
Business School at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, a Master of Science in
Management with a concentration in Industrial Engineering from North Carolina State
University, and a Bachelor of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Ohio
Dr. Warsing’s research concerns the development of tools and policies for effectively managing inventory, logistics, and business operations, and studying the way
in which various management practices contribute to improved performance outcomes.
His work has been published in Production and Operations Management, the Journal of Operations Management, Decision Sciences, the European Journal of Operational
Research, and the International Journal of Logistics. He is also the co-author of a
graduate-level textbook, Supply Chain Engineering: Models and Applications (CRC
Press, available Oct 2012), and author of several book chapters on Logistics and
Supply Chain Management, including one that appears in both the Operations
Research and Management Science Handbook (CRC Press, 2008) and Operations
Research Applications (CRC Press, 2009).
- Kay, M. G. and D. P. Warsing, “Modeling Truck Rates Using Publicly
Available Empirical Data,” International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, forthcoming.
- Bozarth, C. C., D. P. Warsing, B. B. Flynn, and J. E. Flynn, “The Impact
of Supply Chain Complexity on Manufacturing Plant Performance,” Journal of Operations Management, forthcoming.
- Handfield, R. B., D. P. Warsing, and X. Wu, “(Q,r) Inventory Policies in
a Fuzzy Uncertain Supply Chain Environment,” European Journal of Operational Research, forthcoming.
- Thomas, D. J., D. P. Warsing, and X. Zhang, “Forecast Updating and
Supplier Coordination for Complementary Component Purchases,” Production and Operations Management, forthcoming.
- Warsing, D. P. (2008), “Supply Chain Management,” in Operations Research
and Management Science Handbook, A. Ravindran, Ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Thomas, D. J. and D. P. Warsing (2007), “A Periodic Inventory Model for
Stocking Modular Components,” Production and Operations Management 16(3), 343-359.
- Kay, M. G. and D. P. Warsing (2006), “An Estimation Model for Truck
Rates,” in Progress in Material Handling Research: 2006, A. Meller, M. K. Ogle, B. A. Peters, G. D. Taylor, & J. Usher, Eds., The Material Handling Institute, Charlotte, NC.
- Warsing, D. P., G. C. Souza, and N. P. Greis (2001). “Determining the Value of Dedicated Multimodal Cargo Facilities in a Multi-Region Distribution Network,” European Journal of Operational Research, 133(1), 81-93.*