Fay Cobb Payton
Emeritus Professor of Information Technology and Business Analytics
IT, Graduate Faculty
Department of Business Management
Nelson Hall 3122
Fay Cobb Payton is a Professor of Information Systems/Technology at North Carolina State University in the College of Management. She is an editor for Health Systems, and an Associate Editor for Decision Sciences, DATABSE and Information Technology & People journals. She was named the 2016 North Carolina Technology Association Tech Educator of the Year. She was selected to participate in the 2016 White House Summit on the United State of Women.
She received the 2013 National Coalition of Women in Information Technology (NCWIT) Undergraduate Mentoring Award. She is a member of the NC State University Women in Science and Engineering Advisory, and collaborates with several interdisciplinary groups at the institution.
As an American Council on Education Fellow, she worked on issues of academic review, interdisciplinary graduate research and education, and institutional economic and community impact and shadowed national and international leaders. Payton also collaborated with the NC State University Institute of Emerging Issue, a think-and-do-tank during here leadership fellowship.
Payton has appeared on CBS Radio Network, Black Data Processing Association iRadio, Sunrise America, Financial Review, National Public Radio and others to discuss her research including health IT, tech leadership, diversity and inclusion in the technology industry, and under-representation of under-represented groups in STEM. She has collaborated and/or consulted with a number of organizations on these and other topics. She has given talks at several information technology industry and professional conferences, public school education sessions and STEM outreach organizations. She was awarded the first SAS Institute Fellow for her work in analytics and teaching in the IS/IT classroom, and as received two NC State University Alumni Extension Awards.
Payton worked in corporate IT and engineering before joining the academy, and has consulted with a number of organizations.
She is the author of Leveraging Intersectionality: Seeing and Not Seeing, an anthology of her research on STEM education and experiences in both academe and corporate environments.
Ph.D. Information and Decision Systems Case Western Reserve University 1997
Area(s) of Expertise
Health Care IT and Disparities, Data Management, STEM Issues, Diversity and Systems Implementation
- Fay Cobb Payton Addresses Bias in AI Recruiting Tools (July 30, 2020)
- AI and Health Disparities in the Age of COVID-19 (April 15, 2020)
- Poole’s Fay Cobb Payton Joins the Fight Against Biased Algorithms in Technology Today (Nov. 18, 2019)
- Poole College Professors Recognized for Research and Teaching (April 12, 2017)
- Professor Fay Cobb Payton inducted into The PhD Project’s Hall of Fame (October 11, 2017)
- Fay Cobb Payton: Bringing Content, Context to the Classroom (Nov. 3, 2016)
- Fay Cobb Payton Named University Faculty Scholar (Dec. 1, 2016)
- Dr. Fay Cobb Payton Receives NSF Award for Research on use of Social Media for HIV/AIDS Education (Sept. 12, 2011)