Tim Kraft’s research examines environmental and social responsibility issues in supply chains. Research topics he has studied include investigating how supply chain transparency can influence consumers’ and companies’ decisions in social responsibility contexts, examining collaborative methods to motivate suppliers to improve their sustainability practices, and studying companies’ and non-governmental organizations’ decisions regarding environmental investment decisions.
Tim’s research has appeared in leading operations management journals such as Manufacturing and Service Operations Management and Production and Operations Management. In 2020, he was named co-winner of the POMS Paul Kleindorfer Award in Sustainability. For his teaching and case writing, Tim was named the 2018 Outstanding Faculty Member at the University of Virginia (Darden) and is a two-time winner of the INFORMS Case Competition.
Tim previously taught at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business and was a visiting faculty at the MIT Sloan School of Management. He received his doctorate degree from Stanford University.
Ph.D. Management Science and Engineering Stanford University 2011
MBA/Master of Science Business Management & Mechanical Engineering The University of Texas at Austin 2005
Bachelor of Science Industrial Engineering Georgia Institute of Technology 1999
Area(s) of Expertise
Supply Chain, Sustainability, Social Responsibility
- How Supply Chain Transparency Boosts Business Value , Sloan Management Review (2021)
- Supply Chain Transparency at Goodio Chocolate , Responsible Business Operations (2021)
- Sustainable Triple-A Supply Chains , Production and Operations Management (2021)
- Motivating Supplier Social Responsibility under Incomplete Visibility , Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (2020)
- Supplier Development in a Multi-Tier Supply Chain , IISE Transactions (2019)
- Supply Chain Visibility and Social Responsibility: Investigating Consumers’ Behaviors and Motives , Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (2018)
- Buyer and Nonprofit Levers to Improve Suppliers’ Environmental Performance , Production and Operations Management Special Issue on Not-for-Profit Operations Management (2017)
- Collaborate or Compete: Examining Manufacturers' Replacement Strategies for a Substance of Concern , Production and Operations Management (2017)
- Assessing Consumers’ Valuations of Socially Responsible Products with Controlled Experiments , Environmentally Responsible Supply Chains (2016)
- Managing the Chemicals and Substances in Products and Supply Chains , Environmentally Responsible Supply Chains (2016)
- Assistant Professor
- Department of Business Management
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
Honors and Awards
- MSOM Meritorious Service Award (2021)