Tim Kraft’s research examines environmental and social responsibility issues in supply chains. Research topics he has studied include investigating how supply chain transparency can influence consumers’ and companies’ decisions in social responsibility contexts, examining collaborative methods to motivate suppliers to improve their sustainability practices, and studying companies’ and non-governmental organizations’ decisions regarding environmental investment decisions.
Tim’s research has appeared in leading operations management journals such as Manufacturing and Service Operations Management and Production and Operations Management. In 2020, he was named co-winner of the POMS Paul Kleindorfer Award in Sustainability. For his teaching and case writing, Tim was named the 2018 Outstanding Faculty Member at the University of Virginia (Darden) and is a two-time winner of the INFORMS Case Competition.
Tim previously taught at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business and the MIT Sloan School of Management. He has also worked for several companies that include PricewaterhouseCoopers and RadioShack Corporation. He received his doctorate degree from Stanford University.
Ph.D. Management Science and Engineering Stanford University 2011
MBA/Master of Science Business Management & Mechanical Engineering The University of Texas at Austin 2005
Bachelor of Science Industrial Engineering Georgia Institute of Technology 1999
- Motivating Supplier Social Responsibility under Incomplete Visibility , Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (2020)
- Sustainable Triple-A Supply Chains , PRODUCTION AND OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (2020)
- Supplier Development in a Multi-Tier Supply Chain , IISE Transactions (2019)
- Supply Chain Visibility and Social Responsibility: Investigating Consumers’ Behaviors and Motives , Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (2018)
- Buyer and Nonprofit Levers to Improve Suppliers’ Environmental Performance , Production and Operations Management Special Issue on Not-for-Profit Operations Management (2017)
- Collaborate or Compete: Examining Manufacturers' Replacement Strategies for a Substance of Concern , Production and Operations Management (2017)
- Assessing Consumers’ Valuations of Socially Responsible Products with Controlled Experiments , Environmentally Responsible Supply Chains (2016)
- Managing the Chemicals and Substances in Products and Supply Chains , Environmentally Responsible Supply Chains (2016)
- Improving Stanford Blood Center’s Platelet Supply Chain , The Supply Chain Management Casebook: Comprehensive Coverage and Best Practices in SCM (2013)
- Replacement Decisions for Potentially Hazardous Substances , Production and Operations Management (2013)