Frank Buckless became the Stephen P. Zelnak Jr. Dean of the Poole College of Management at NC State University on July 1, 2019.
Under his 18 year leadership of the Department of Accounting, the undergraduate and graduate accounting programs experienced significant growth and recognition, and the department received initial accreditation from the AACSB. During that time, the department also generated support for impactful academic research –– engaging with organizations such as the Bank of America Foundation to support the Enterprise Risk Management Initiative, and the National Science Foundation (NSF) to support product and technology commercialization.
A member of the NC State accounting faculty since 1989, Buckless received his doctorate in accounting from Michigan State University. He brought valuable corporate experience to Poole College from his tenure as auditor with Arthur Andersen and Company and is often invited to educate and train auditing professionals.
Buckless’ research interests include accounting education, audit and sustainability, and he has published in top journals, including The Accounting Review and Issues in Accounting Education, where he served as associate editor. He also has served on the editorial board of Accounting Education: A Journal of Theory, Practice and Research, The Accounting Educators’ Journal and Journal of Accounting Education.
Along with colleagues Dr. Kathy Krawczyk and Scott Showalter, Buckless received the 2016 American Accounting Association’s (AAA) “Innovation in Accounting Education Award” for their use of Second Life virtual reality world to enhance the classroom learning experience. He has published numerous educational books related to audit education.
Follow Frank Buckless on Twitter @PCOM_Dean.
Ph.D. Accounting Michigan State University 1989
Area(s) of Expertise
Financial Statement Auditing, Research Methodology, Accounting Education and Faculty Issues.
Honors and Awards
- American Accounting Association’s (AAA) “Innovation in Accounting Education Award” (2016)
- College of Management Board of Governors’ Award for Excellence in Teaching (1998)
- Hewlett Fellow (NC State Inquiry Based Education Grant).
- Outstanding Auditing Dissertation award issued by the American Accounting Association - Auditing Section (1990)
- From the Dean: Making an Impact (Feb. 24, 2021)
- Sepi Saidi ‘85 Embraces the Unknown Challenges in Business (March 10, 2020)
- Dean Buckless of NC State Poole College of Management Joins Leaders in Signing Open Letter Calling for Substantial Policy Change in U.S. Approach to High-Skilled Immigration (October 15, 2019)
- NC State Names New Dean of Poole College of Management (May 2, 2019)
- A Conversation with Dean Buckless (Aug. 10, 2018)
- NC State Poole College Names New Associate Dean (March 26, 2018)