Mark Beasley is a Professor of Enterprise Risk Management and the Director of the Enterprise Risk Management Initiative in the Poole College of Management. The Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Initiative provides thought leadership about ERM practices and their integration with strategy and corporate governance. As founding director, Dr. Beasley leads the ERM Initiative’s efforts to help pioneer the development of this emergent discipline through outreach to business professionals, with its ongoing ERM Roundtable Series and ERM Executive Education for boards and senior executives; research, advancing knowledge and understanding of ERM issues; and undergraduate and graduate business education for the next generation of business executives (visit the ERM Initiative website at www.erm.ncsu.edu). He frequently works with boards of directors and senior management teams to assist them in strengthening their risk oversight processes.
From 2004-2011, Dr. Beasley served on the board for the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (widely known at COSO – see www.coso.org) and has participated in a number of other national level risk management initiatives. He served on the Advisory Council that helped develop COSO’s 2004 Enterprise Risk Management – Integrated Framework and he is now serving on the COSO Advisory Council that is working on an update revision to that framework, which was released as an Exposure Draft in June 2016. In 2007, he completed his service as President of the Auditing Section of the American Accounting Association. He also served on the AICPA Auditing Standards Board Task Force that developed Statement on Auditing Standards No. 99, Consideration of Fraud in a Financial Statement Audit.
Dr. Beasley is the recipient of the American Accounting Association’s Competitive Manuscript Award, the AAA’s Distinguished Contribution to Accounting Literature Award, and the Auditing Section’s Notable Contributions to the Auditing Literature Award. In 2012, Dr. Beasley was named by the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) as one of the “100 People to Watch.”
His teaching interests include courses related to enterprise risk management, risks and controls, auditing, and financial reporting. Dr. Beasley is a member of NC State’s Academy of Outstanding Teachers, the College of Management’s recipient of the Board of Governor’s Teaching Award, and a member of NC State’s Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension.
Work Experience and Education
Prior to beginning his career at NC State, Dr. Beasley served as a Technical Manager in the Audit and Attest Division of the AICPA. In that role he assisted the Auditing Standards Board in the development of professional auditing standards. Before joining the AICPA, he was an Audit Manager in the Nashville, Tennessee office of Ernst & Young. Dr. Beasley is a member of the American Accounting Association (AAA) and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Dr. Beasley received a BS in accounting from Auburn University and a Ph.D. from Michigan State University.
Ph.D., Accounting, Michigan State University, Eli Broad School of Management (1994)
B.S., Accounting (cum laude), Auburn University School of Accountancy (1982)
- Professor Beasley Shares Tips for Risk Management in Nonprofits (October 22, 2019)
- NC State Poole College Professor Mark Beasley Appointed KPMG Term Professor of Accounting (August 18, 2019)
- Mark Beasley, Jessica Thomas Recognized for Outstanding Outreach and Engagement (April 19, 2019)
- Professor Mark Beasley discusses CFO concerns for talent management and leadership (April 4, 2019)
- Professor Mark Beasley Discusses The Risks Executives Face In 2019 (January 24, 2019)
- Professor Mark Beasley Discusses The Risks Of Artificial Intelligence To Major Companies (January 9, 2019)
- Professor Mark Beasley Receives AICPA Support for Assurance-Related Research (March 8, 2018)
- Professor Beasley Talks about Managing Risks in Business (August 3, 2017)
- Risk Management Weak: Mark Beasley Comments on Latest ERM Report (July 7, 2017)
- Mark Beasley Named to 2012 NACD Directorship 100 (Dec. 10, 2012)
- American Accounting Association Honors Mark Beasley for Research Contributions (August 29, 2010)
- Beasley among Participants in Webinar Regarding COSO’s Fraudulent Financial Reporting Study (May 24, 2010)