Courses and Enrollment
Poole will be regularly managing enrollment in courses by adding seats, updating restrictions, and occasionally even adding additional sections. Make sure you are constantly checking the course schedule, getting on waitlists when possible, and not giving up if you don’t get into a class you want. Your schedule on your registration day likely won’t be anything like your final schedule.
Courses taught by the Poole College of Management (ACC, BUS, EC, MIE) are very popular. Our priority in the Poole College is to ensure that Poole majors (and minors) have access to the courses they need and are able to enroll in those courses to stay on track for graduation. To manage this process, and to be transparent about enrollment controls and deadlines, we will follow the process outlined below.
- Most Accounting (ACC), Business (BUS), Economics (EC), and Management, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship (MIE) courses will be closed to students not in a Poole major or minor until the fourth day of class (see the exceptions and calendars below); 400-level Poole courses will not be open to students who are not in a Poole major or minor at any point. (some exceptions may be made for non-degree students)
- M 100 is restricted to students who are already in a Poole major and is not an option for students who are pursuing the CODA process until after they have been officially accepted.
- Some 200-level and 300-level Poole courses/sections will be open to anyone at NC State (e.g., MIE 201-001, ACC 210-001) from the start (though some seats will still be reserved for Poole students).
- We will implement enrollment controls such that students who need to schedule a course for a particular concentration (e.g., Business Finance, Accounting Internal Auditing) will have access first (only if already enrolled in that concentration), then we will open those courses up to the broader Poole population.
- Poole will utilize the university’s registration waitlist function for courses that are full for Poole students (please note: waitlists close the first day of classes). Being on a waitlist does not guarantee a spot in a course, so make sure you have back-up courses. Please review the “swap to waitlist” feature in MyPack to be sure you don’t receive a registration error if a seat open up in the class. Instructions can be found here.
- During the second week of classes, Poole College Consent is required by any student seeking to add a Poole course. Students interested in adding a Poole course during this period should email email@example.com AND the faculty member (in the same email) teaching the course to request consideration to add the course. Please note, faculty do not have the ability to add students to their class.
- The calendars below provide specific details on when courses will be open to specific groups of students for enrollment – assuming that your enrollment window has opened.
Guidelines for Poole Major Students
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you enroll in the appropriate courses when your enrollment window opens. Failure to register in a timely fashion may result in your not being able to get the courses you need to stay on track or graduate on time.
- If you still have an advising hold on your account, please review the emails sent to your @ncsu.edu email account from your academic advisor. Please contact your advisor if you have more questions.
- If you are unable to register for a course that you need to stay on track or graduate, please get on the waitlist as soon as you are able, and contact your advisor (after getting on the waitlist). If the waitlist is full, you should still contact your advisor.
- If you cannot enroll in a course because the system is not recognizing that you have met the prereqs, or you feel that you are being denied enrollment in error, please contact your advisor ASAP.
- We will not consider requests for course changes or enroll you in a course that is full for convenience reasons (e.g., don’t want to have to take an 8am class, don’t like the instructor, etc.)
Guidelines for Poole Minor Students
- Eligibility for Poole courses is dependent on already having been accepted into the Poole minor prior to the semester of enrollment.
- Students in the ACC minor will have access to most 300 and 400 level ACC courses beginning November 2nd.
- Students in the EC minor will have access to most 300 and 400 level EC courses beginning November 2nd.
- Students in the Business Administration minor will have access to seats in select sections of minor courses when their enrollment appointment opens. The courses/sections with reserved seats for minors are:
- BUS 320-602, BUS 340 (some seats in all sections), BUS 360-601, BUS 370-602, MIE 201-601, MIE 305-601, MIE 310-601, MIE 330-602. These seats may fill up quickly though so students are encouraged to utilize waitlists if necessary.
- Students in the Business Entrepreneurship Minor will have access to a number of seats in MIE 201-601 and MIE 310-601 once their enrollment appointment opens. These seats may fill up quickly though so students are encouraged to utilize the waitlist if necessary. On November 2nd, we will release any remaining seats in 400-level MIE Entrepreneurship classes to students in the minor.
- If you have not already been accepted into the Business Administration minor or Business Entrepreneurship minor prior to that date, we can’t provide an exception to allow you to register for courses.
- Please check your NC State email for additional information you should have received on scheduling courses for Poole minors.
Guidelines for Non-Degree (NDS) Students
- The University dictates when enrollment for non-degree (NDS) students opens. For Spring 2021 courses, this date is scheduled for November 13th.
- NDS students may have access to Poole courses on a case-by-case basis. NDS students having trouble enrolling in Poole courses should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students in the Business Essentials Certificate should contact the Business Essentials program at email@example.com. We will work to provide seats for students in the certificate in some cases.
Questions or Problems?
For Poole students, please contact your advisor with questions. For non-Poole students, if you have questions about courses, please contact the Scheduling Office in the Poole Office of Undergraduate Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org (we will do our best to respond to your email within 48 hours but during busy times, it may take longer). If you have questions about transferring to programs in the Poole College of Management, email the Poole College Office of Undergraduate Programs at email@example.com.
Additionally, for Poole students, virtual drop-in hours are available with Poole advisors at the times specified here and additional walk-in hours for both Poole and non-Poole students will be scheduled for the first week of classes. Please check this page prior to the beginning of the Spring 2021 semester for specific days and times. Virtual Information Sessions will be held for students interested in Poole CODA, Poole Minors and the Poole Business Essentials Certificate. Visit go.ncsu.edu/poole_opportunities for details.
Course Enrollment Calendars
The tables below provide information on when different courses will be available to different groups of students. These provide general guidelines, but there are some exceptions that may not be covered (e.g., Honors courses, special topics courses, practicum courses), please consult the schedule of courses for specific restrictions for specific courses. To qualify for enrollment, you must have been officially accepted to that major/minor/concentration (not be planning to declare). The deadlines also only apply when the course has seats available and when all prerequisites are met.
Restrictions will be amended/lifted by 9am on the day indicated (unless otherwise noted).
|Group||300-Level Courses||400-Level Courses||ACC 450|
|ACC Majors (w/ declared concentration)||Always||Always for Specific|
|BUS Majors (w/ declared concentration)||Nov. 2nd||Always for Specific|
|ACC Majors (w/ declared|
|Other Poole Majors|
(EC, BUS, MGMTFY*)
|Nov. 2nd||Nov. 9th||Nov. 9th (no MGMT)|
|Accounting Minors||Nov. 2nd||Nov. 2nd||Nov. 2nd|
|All Other Students||Jan. 22nd @ 5pm||N/A||N/A|
|Group||EC 301 & 302||300-Level Courses||400-Level Courses|
|MGMTFY*||Nov. 2nd||Nov. 9th||Nov. 9th|
|Economics Minors||Nov. 2nd||Nov. 2nd||Nov. 2nd|
|Other Poole Majors|
(ACC, BUS, MGMTFY*)
|Nov. 9th||Nov. 9th||Nov. 9th|
|All Other Students||Nov. 16th||Jan. 22nd @ 5pm||N/A|
|Group||300-Level Courses||400-Level Courses**||MIE 480|
|BUS Majors (w/ declared concentration)||Always||Always for Specific Concentrations||Only BUS & ACC Seniors|
|ACC Majors (w/ declared concentration)||Always||Always for Specific Concentrations||Only BUS & ACC Seniors|
|BUS Majors (other or no concentration)||Always||Nov. 2nd||Only BUS & ACC Seniors|
|Other Poole Majors (ACC, EC, MGMTFY*)||Always||Nov. 2nd||N/A|
|Business Administration Minors||Always for select sections+||N/A||N/A|
|Business Entrepreneurship Minors||Always for MIE 310-601||Nov. 2nd for MIE 41X courses++||N/A|
|All Other Students||Jan. 22nd @ 5pm||N/A||N/A|
**BUS 458 and BUS 459 are only open to students in the Business Analytics Honors Program
+BUS 320-602, BUS 340 (some reserved seats), BUS 360-601, BUS 370-602, MIE 201-601, MIE 305-601, MIE 310-601, MIE 330-602
++MIE 418 & 419 must have instructor consent to enroll.