Major and Concentration Declaration Information
Still trying to decide on a major?
Poole College of Management offers the following 4 majors:
- Bachelors of Science in Accounting
- Bachelors of Science in Business Administration
- Bachelors of Arts in Economics
- Bachelors of Science in Economics
Still trying to decide on a concentration?
Poole College of Management offers the following concentrations:
Bachelors of Science in Accounting:
- Financial Analysis
- Information Systems
- Internal Auditing
- Managerial Accounting
- Government and Nonprofit
- No Concentration – requires consultation with your academic advisor
Bachelors of Science in Business Administration:
What major and/or concentration is right for me?
Factors to consider when choosing a major and/or concentration:
Identify your interests, values, passions and strengths– Are their particular topics or subjects that you get excited about? Or do you find yourself spending hours researching on an interest? What areas do you excel in? Do you have talents and strengths that will help you succeed in a particular field? If you love what you are studying, you are more likely to be fully engaged with your classes and college experience.
Career goals – What kind of work do you want to do? Do you have any special interests or strengths that lead you towards a specific major? Ask yourself, “If money and education were not obstacles, how would I want to spend 40-60 hours a week, for the majority of my life?”
Earning potential – College is a big investment of your time and finances. Understanding the projected growth, starting salaries, advancement opportunities and educational requirements can be important factors in your decision of selecting a major. The Occupational Outlook Handbook is a terrific resource to help you explore many different occupations and majors.
Still undecided? That is okay, let’s focus on more ways you can explore!
- Seek counsel – Have meaningful conversations with Poole faculty as well as professionals working in different fields/industries. Talk with those you see as trusted advisors in your life (family, friends, mentors or academic advisors).
- Contact the Poole Career Development Center located in Nelson 1133
- Take a course – M 120: Professional Development and Career Planning or USC 202: Career Exploration and Development
- Complete career assessments – such as CliftonStrengths or Focus 2
- Explore the 2018-2019 virtual Poole Career Development Center located in your PROJECTS tab in Moodle
- You will begin with declaring your major (one of the 4 above) and then when you are ready, you will choose a concentration. Take the pressure off – if you later change your mind, talk with your academic advisor, they can help you change your major within Poole or with the CODA process to change majors outside of Poole College of Management.
- If you are majoring in Business Administration or Accounting, you will want to declare your concentration by the second semester of your junior year. This will allow you to begin taking your 400 level concentration courses during the second semester of your junior year and senior year. If you later change your mind, talk with your academic advisor, they can help you change your concentration within Poole College of Management.