Frequently Asked Questions


The current recommended sequence is ACC 210 prior to ACC 200. In the near future, ACC 200 will be re-numbered to ACC 220 to reflect this sequence.
We encourage you to consider the Master of Accounting (MAC) program. N.C. State’s MAC program – a fifth-year, stand-alone master’s degree – is the normal route for those planning to sit for the CPA, CMA, and CIA exams and to interview with corporate employers. For more information visit Admission to the program requires the completion of an undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, appropriate GMAT scores, and leadership experience. Exceptions are considered on a case-by-case basis. You are also encouraged to investigate other MAC programs nationwide.

Add/Drop Classes

If it is before the official last day to drop a course, you can do so in MyPack, provided you are not dropping below full-time status.  If dropping your class will put you below full-time status or if it is after the last official day to drop, contact your advisor. When in question regarding the impact of your course drop, please see your advisor. It may be helpful to reference the university academic calendar for important dates.
Courses taught by the Poole College of Management (ACC, BUS, EC, MIE) are very popular. Our priority in the Poole College is to ensure that Poole majors (and minors) have access to the courses they need and are able to enroll in those courses to stay on track for graduation. To manage this process, and to be transparent about enrollment controls and deadlines, the Poole College has outlined a clear process and standard for adding courses. That policy can be found here.


It is recommended that you complete (or are in the process of completing) all of your core classes before choosing a concentration – MIE 330, BUS 320, BUS 340, BUS 360, BUS 370 (and MIE 310 if considering a concentration in entrepreneurship) to best determine if that concentration fits your goals and interests.

You can declare your concentration by stopping by Nelson 2150 and completing the “Concentration Declaration Form.” You will need to submit a printed copy of your degree audit with the form. Your concentration should be updated within two business days.

Officially, the college only recognizes one concentration through the declaration process, but this should not deter you from completing the extra coursework so that you can be better prepared for your future career. During the registration process, preference is given to students enrolled in their first concentration. However, if seats remain, you can add courses outside your concentration. If you are able, you can indicate that you have completed two concentrations on your resume. Please use “What If” feature in your Degree Audit to track the second concentration requirements.

Credit and Transfer Information

Once you are admitted to the university, your transcripts will be evaluated for credit that is transferable to NC State. The College at NC State within which you will be pursuing a degree will determine the exact amount of credit that will apply towards your degree. Read more about Poole’s transfer course policy here… Only courses in which you made a ‘C-‘ or better will be considered for transfer. A Transfer Summary will be mailed to you within two weeks of your admission to NC State.

If you are a current Poole student and want to take courses at another institution, we encourage you to research courses at local institutions or community colleges and use the Course Equivalency tool to see what will transfer. If you find a course that is transferrable, complete the Course Transfer Request form here and turn it into your advisor. Your advisor will evaluate the course(s) and let you know if it is approved. If approved, you will receive an email and a copy of the approval form will be placed in your file. You then must ensure the transcript is sent to Undergraduate Admissions after you complete the course.

Yes but you will need to ensure that you meet university and Poole College of Management residency requirements. If you plan to take classes at another institution, be sure to complete a Transfer Credit Approval form, located in Nelson 2150 or online.
To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree at NC State, a student must be enrolled in a degree program and must earn at least 30 of the last 45 hours of credit through NC State courses.

The University residency requirement that 30 of the last 45 hours be completed at NC State applies in addition to the following departmental requirements. The major course requirements for the purpose of residency are identified as “Major Requirements” on the official degree requirement sheets. Students must be admitted to either the BUS or ACC degree program at the beginning of a semester in order to qualify as being enrolled as a degree candidate during that semester. Students are subject to the following departmental residency requirements:

Accounting: For students enrolled in previous versions of the curriculum (students enrolling prior to fall 2016): In addition to completing 30 credit hours of their major course requirements for the accounting degree at NC State University, students must take their ACC concentration course (ACC 411 for financial analysis, ACC 420 for managerial, ACC 440 for information systems and ACC 451 for internal auditing) and four of the following five courses at NC State: ACC 310, ACC 311, ACC 330, ACC 340 and ACC 450. For students enrolled in the new curriculum as of fall 2016: In addition to completing 30 credit hours of their major course requirements for the accounting degree at NC State University, students must take ACC 450 and three of the following four courses at NC State: ACC 310, ACC 311, ACC 330 and ACC 340.

Business Administration: To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, a student must complete at least 30 credit hours of the major course requirements for the degree at NC State University. In addition, a student must complete at least 30 credit hours (not restricted to courses in the major) while officially enrolled as a degree candidate in either the Business Administration or Accounting program (e.g., students transferring in BUS during their last 2 semesters will not be permitted to graduate).

Economics: To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree in Economics, a student must complete at least one-half of the required economics credit hours (EC courses) at NC State University.

Each year incoming freshmen receive credit for such courses. For AP courses, an exam score of 3 or better is generally required. For IB, a score of 5 on the higher level exams is generally required. See the Undergraduate Admissions website for more AP and IB for more details. For dual enrollment (also known as Fast Track), a grade of ‘C-‘ or better must be achieved in each class in order to receive credit and an official transcript must be sent from the college/university attended to Admissions.
The Poole College of Management does not suggest that students complete any courses for audit. If you are considering auditing a course, you should meet with your academic advisor to discuss this option. The university also restricts course auditing. For more information, visit
Although very rare, at NC State CLEP tests can be used to grant credit for corresponding college courses. Visit Undergraduate Admissions for more information.

Degree Audit

Potential course substitutions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. You should first speak with your academic advisor to see if your request is appropriate. After this conversation you will need to complete a Request for Degree Requirement Exception form available here. Your case will be reviewed by the Dean, and you will be notified via email of the substitution decision.
In order to have your degree audit amended, please contact your advisor for assistance. You may need to complete the process above.
You can determine how long it will take you to graduate by reviewing your degree audit. Once on your degree audit, click on the Total Units link at the top. You will see the Total Units Remaining in the top box, right column. This is the amount of units (credit hours) you have left to complete and includes your currently enrolled courses and courses you have registered for in the future. If you are Management-Undeclared or Business/Accounting Undeclared, use the “What If” tool to help plan your remaining courses. Remember to check prerequisites. You can click on the course number in your degree audit to view prerequisite courses.


If you are a previously enrolled undergraduate degree student but did not attend classes last semester (fall/spring), you must complete a readmission application and have received an official notice of readmission before attempting to enroll (register). After being readmitted, you will also need to meet with your academic advisor and complete registration advising. The readmission application can be found on the Registration and Records website.

Free Electives

Almost any course can be used as a free elective; however there are a few exceptions. See your Degree Audit for this updated list of exceptions. Unlike other courses, Free Electives on the degree audit are not in the “requirement details.” Instead, you should think about courses that you are interested in and use this opportunity to take those classes. If you are struggling to find classes outside of Management that you are interested in, we encourage you to add a minor, add an additional concentration and/or speak with your advisor about options.
BUS students are allowed to take HES courses and 12 hours of Free Electives S/U. ACC students are allowed to take HES courses and all Free Electives S/U. EC (BA) students are allowed to take HES courses and all Free Electives S/U. EC (BS) students are allowed to take HES courses and 12 hours of Free Electives S/U.

Grades and GPA

A “C-wall” course is a class in which you must pass it with a “C-“ or better in order to take the next level of the course and/or have this course meet graduation requirements for a specific curriculum. To see the courses in your major that have the C-wall requirement, look on your degree audit. Each will be indicated by “C-“ or better required.” The following are C-Wall classes by major and must be completed with a “C-“ or better. ACC: ENG 101, ACC 200, ACC 210, ACC 310, ACC 311, ACC 330, ACC 340; BUS: ENG 101, EC 201, MA 121/131/141, BUS 350, ACC 200, ACC 210; ECON: ENG 101.Remember, your cumulative GPA and major GPA must be at least a 2.0 in order to qualify to graduate.
Undergraduate students may select up to two NC State courses with posted letter grades of C- or below to be excluded from calculation in their cumulative grade point average. More details regarding the requirements and parameters of this policy can be found at You can review a tutorial for applying grade exclusions here.
Make an appointment to speak with your instructor as soon as possible. Visit for more information.
In order to be on the Dean’s List in any given semester, a full-time student must have a 3.5 or better grade point average on 12-14 hours of GRADED course work OR a 3.25 or better grade point average on 15 or more GRADED credit hours. Courses taken for credit only (S/U) do not have grades to contribute to the GPA calculation; therefore, they are not included in the number of graded hours for Dean’s List.


In order to graduate, you must have at least a 2.0 Cumulative GPA on all hours attempted at NC State and at least a 2.0 GPA in your major. Check your Academic Totals in MyPack to determine your Cumulative GPA. Major GPAs are based on: BUS and MIE courses for Business Administration students; ACC courses for Accounting students, and EC and ECG courses for Economics students. You must apply to graduate (whether attending the ceremony or not) and complete the graduation application (before the semester deadline) to be eligible.
To graduate with honors you must have completed at least two semesters and at least 30 credit at N.C. State and meet these standards:
– Cum Laude: 3.250 – 3.499
– Magna Cum Laude: 3.500 – 3.749
– Summa Cum Laude: 3.750 and above
Commencement is meant to be a celebratory event. Attending the ceremony is not a necessary requirement to “graduate.” As long as you meet all of the academic requirements for your degree by the end of the semester, you will be cleared for graduation. You must apply to graduate and complete the graduation application (before the semester deadline) to be eligible. The university will mail your diploma to the address you have listed as permanent in the MyPack system. To learn more about graduation and commencement, visit this page.


Accounting majors may possibly earn internship credit through ACC 499, which is managed by the Accounting Department.


To change your major within the college, complete the form and schedule an appointment with your academic advisor. To switch to a major outside the Poole College, you must be granted acceptance to the other college. Each college has different requirements. You can review them by visiting
To declare a double major within the college, complete the form and schedule an appointment with your academic advisor. To add a major outside the Poole College, you must be granted acceptance to the other college on campus. Each college has different requirements. You can review them by visiting
Major Declaration forms for students in Management-First Year are available in Nelson 2150. Students are required to declare a major before starting their second year.


For accounting or economics minors, submit a minor declaration form available online and turn in to Nelson 2150 prior to starting your minor. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification can be found in 2150 Nelson Hall and should be completed during the registration period of the student’s final semester at NC State.Admission to the business administration minor is competitive. Business Administration Minor Application Deadlines are September 15, February 15 and June 1. The application is available here. Students will be notified one month after the application deadline regarding the status of their application.

You can view all the minors offered at NC State here. Each minor page will list the requirements for the minor, as well as how to declare, apply, and certify; as well as the contact person for each minor. Visit the Poole College Minors page for more information about our minors.


Advising questions for non-Poole majors should be submitted via email to
Each Poole College student has an assigned professional advisor. Your advisor is listed on the right hand side of the Student Services Center landing page in the MyPack Portal.
You can make appointments with your academic advisor to discuss your academic plan, or if you are having trouble adjusting to college either academically or socially. The advising staff also offers drop-in advising for a few hours each day. Students who have quick questions can see the on-duty advisor on a first-come, first-served basis. To schedule an appointment, call the Office of Undergraduate Programs at 919.515.5565 – or visit the office in Nelson Hall, Suite 2150.The hours for drop-in advising differ at times throughout the semester, for instance more hours are offered during the first two weeks of each semester. Visit here for more information. Drop-in hours are also posted on the doors of the Office of Undergraduate Programs suite (Nelson 2150).
Yes, our course is designed for new Poole students and is significantly different than other college courses. The only exception is for the Exploratory Studies course (USC 101) which is also on the university’s U.S. Diversity list.
Follow the guidelines in our Go Global section of the site.
Start with your academic advisor. Schedule a meeting with your advisor to discuss the withdrawal process. Withdrawals can now be initiated in the MyPack portal. Visit the Undergraduate Term Withdrawal page for more information.
Please see the Scholarships portion of our website.
You can grant your parents access to your academic record through MyPack. More information can be found here.
In order to come back, you would need to fill out the Readmission Application Form via Registration and Records to return for a second degree at NC State. Visit here for the university’s readmission information. In order to be admitted to the second program, you must be academically eligible. If you have questions, contact
The University Tutorial Center is one of the great resources for NC State students. Check out the University Tutorial Center website to find a complete listing of the services they provide (individual tutors, walk-in tutors, supplemental instruction, etc.), as well as those offered by individual departments on campus.The tutoring provided by the Undergraduate Tutorial Center is primarily focused on 100 and 200 level courses and is FREE to all NC State undergraduate students. If you have more questions about the tutoring services available once you have viewed their website, you can call (919) 515-3163, or email If you need tutorial assistance in addition to what the Undergraduate Tutorial Center can offer, they will be able to help you find other resources that exist on campus or in the community.
The Writing and Speaking Tutorial Services offers assistance on a by appointment or walk in basis. See their website for details and to schedule an appointment.